This week my emotions have been a little bit bitter-sweet about it all. My question is this:
Wasn’t he just this old yesterday??
How is it that twelve years can pass so darn quick? I swear I was just barely walking around Babies R Us with Dave, completely giddy as we timed the contractions coming stronger and stronger. I was all dolled up in one of Dave’s humongo button-up shirts (pregnancy clothes sure have come a LONG way in 12 years), and I thought I was going to die in anticipation of FINALLY meeting this boy I’d waited what seemed like eons to get my hands on. I was on the brink of being bequeathed my new title I’d been drooling over for so many years: “Mother.”
And he’s been the apple of our eye ever since.He grew:and grew:and grew:And grew:And grew:
And now here he is…all grown up. He’s getting the Priesthood this week for crying out loud. How did this happen? 12 things I love about this boy:
1) My very favorite thing about Max lately is his lack of a bike.
I know that sounds funny, but let me explain. His bike got stolen from our garage a couple months ago. Yeah, the one with all the bells and whistles…makes me so mad…but that’s beside the point for this story.
The thing I LOVE about Max is that although sure, he’s sad about it, he hasn’t really skipped a beat. You know what he’s been riding around the neighborhood? My bike. Yeah, the big red beach cruiser with a baby seat attached to the back. Although I haven’t seen him in action with his friends, my friend called the other day chuckling because she saw all the boys out riding the neighborhood…Max with his baby seat bumping along behind him.
I love picturing it.
2) Max doesn’t really care what everyone else thinks. Although he’s mellow and will go with the flow a lot of the time, he’s fine to be different. I like that. An example: he won’t care a bit that I put this picture in here: There’s nothing wrong with your Mom making you be a cupid, right?
3) Max adores his sisters.
4) His sisters adore him…despite his teasing, which is pretty good.
5) He makes the best chocolate chip cookies.
6) He has the best smile…reminds me so much of his Dad’s.
7) Max is the best at saying “thank you.” He’ll say it like five times when I take him to lunch. Love that.
8) He mows the lawn like a professional.
9) He’s got the best sense of humor. He’s getting to the point he can hold his own against his Dad’s sarcasm. Now that’s pretty good.
10) He makes good decisions and sticks with them.
11) He doesn’t ask for a lot. (see number 1)
12) He’s one smart kid. It’s our “off” party year this year (we only do them every other year). But he and his friends (through a long story of events) got a hold of free passes for this huge, expensive water park here. So in lieu of a party he just managed to schedule his friends to go with him to the water park today. Hmmm. Sounds like a party to me. But it didn’t really count as one, so it worked.
Yeah, gotta hand it to him…he’s smart.