Home lucy banner day

banner day

Today while walking the aisles of Walmart (one of my least favorite stores, but that’s a post for another day), Lucy pointed at me and said, “Mama.” And for the first time I think she really meant, “you are my mama” instead of just some babbling mambo jumbo. And I almost started crying right there on isle 29 next to the can openers and cheese graters.

When we got home she pointed to her baby doll and said “didi” which, when translated, means “baby” or “doggie.” It’s really a useful word since it’s completely interchangeable and especially because it’s one of only two words that complete her vocabulary. But man those little things made me SO happy.

Today also marked the first time I have set Lucy down from carrying her in a standing position and she didn’t fall over, or throw a fit. I know these seem like little things, but to me they’re huge milestones. And I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.
Claire has decided that we should call Lucy “walking girl” now that she can take so many steps. (Isn’t Claire great with the nicknames? First “Shortcut” for her and now “Walking Girl” for Lucy. Maybe the next nickname she bequeaths will be mine: “Talks On Phone Too Much.” I think she was meant to be a Native American.) Claire’s also declared that Lucy is a “girl” now (as opposed to a “baby”). And when I go watch Lucy sleep at night before I head to bed I’ve noticed that Claire’s right…that baby of mine is filling up her crib.

But what I have to say back to Claire is, “that sleeping ‘girl’ with her long eyelashes resting on her chubby cheeks, along with you, Grace, Elle and Max, will always be my ‘babies’ whether you like it or not.”

“And I’ll always be your ‘mama’.”

Lucy’s favorite “didi.”

SydneyMin April 25, 2008 - 12:41 am

Hooray for Lucy!!! What a beautiful baby. You are so blessed to have her 🙂

Brenna April 25, 2008 - 2:05 am

So happy for you and Lucy! Such a great day! Love this post Shawni! I am sure it is just going to keep getting better and better. I tell my kids the same thing… that they are my babies and always will be.
~Christine

Shari Goodman April 25, 2008 - 2:15 am

I know those moments. The little moments you took for granted with the other kids. Each little milestone is worthy of a celebratory party. Keep up the good work, Lucy! Congratulations.

Jennifer April 25, 2008 - 3:24 am

You have such a great way of expressing yourself. I just love to “read” you!

Claudia April 25, 2008 - 3:37 am

Go, go, go Lucy Girl!

Kara Jayne April 25, 2008 - 4:08 am

I LOVE that walking girl with the long eyelashes resting on her chubby cheeks. I’m so happy it was such a great day. We are all so blessed to have these precious spirits, and to be called “mama”!

Melissa April 25, 2008 - 5:08 am

What a sweet post Shawni. I am so happy for the milestone in Lucy’s development.

Amy G. April 25, 2008 - 5:59 am

your photos are amazing as always shawni. you’ll probably never forget the memories associated with them.

Brigitta April 25, 2008 - 5:01 pm

Walking girl is adorable. I love those eyes!!!! It’s amazing what little things can comfort, excite and bring joy to us moms. Yeah for Lucy!!!

Britney April 25, 2008 - 9:52 pm

yay for lucy! that’s so exciting to see her make progress! what a wonderful day for you guys!!

i am totally willing to have my brain “picked” for any information i might be able to pass along. anytime! i love the little one’s…i worked in EI last semester and LOVED it. its so fun to see children progress! hope things are going well for you guys and let me know anytime you might have questions!

britney

britney.bassett@gmail.com

Kirkhams April 26, 2008 - 5:58 am

So Shawni, I have to admit, I’m one of the many admirers you have! I always go to Kristi’s to get to yours and now I’m throwing in the towel to tell you that I want to add your link on mine. Do you mind? I love the way you express life…the good and the challenging. Sometimes I peek in just for a little recharge on a rough day. So, thanks!

You’re family is darling! Glad you had fun on the cruise. Kristi said she stayed busy with Sadie’s little ones! What a fun treat to be with your sisters and parents for a good chunk of time!

You’re great,
Stacy (kirkhamskorner.blogspot.com)

Jessica April 28, 2008 - 2:11 am

That is so wonderful. I’m so glad that you got to have that moment, even in the aisles of Walmart. Those things aren’t small at all but are giant stepping stones of hope that keep you going through it all.

Cheryl April 29, 2008 - 2:12 am

What a doll Lucy is. After all the stress and worry, to have something so wonderful happen, I’d be bawling next ot the spoons and spatulas too!

I love all her photos. I makes me realize I need to get some better pictures of my girls because they grow up so fast! How precious all these photos will be, capturing her in so many of her favorite things. Perfect!

And I love all of Clarie’s nicknames. She gave me a good laugh. I love hearing what kids come up. They are just so much more creative that us grown ups!

Angela April 30, 2008 - 12:04 pm

Great post- Love the little things- she is so beautiful!