Home our houseHome Sweet Home home sweet home: entry way

home sweet home: entry way

So, our entry way started like this:

Then we painted the door almost black way back when (this is the only picture I have for some reason):The “Love More” is just something I put up there because it has some special meaning in our family…and who doesn’t need a little reminder to “love more” once in a while?

After our “spruce-up” we ended up with this (although that archway is NOT blue…not sure why it looks like that):

And here it is with a little of the dining room in there too…before I finished those window pane thingys:{see the finished window panes in the dining room re-do here.}

My favorite part? (Aside from the fact that it’s bright and light and has that rug that I love sitting there for me to walk by all day long):

This thing:

Sweet Stephanie Nielsen told me how to do this…I hope she doesn’t mind me sharing, but I’m sure she’s explained it to plenty of people before. This is how you do it:

1) Take side profile pictures of your children. Print them at whatever size you’d like to display (I just printed mine on cardstock from my computer).

2) Cut out the images.

3) Paint them black.

Thank you Stephanie!

I just bought a big black frame from Aaron Brothers (I love Aaron Brothers), covered the cardboard inside with that same course linen I used in the dining room and stuck on the silhouettes along with numbers from a nearby scrapbook store.

Whallah! There you have your silhouettes.

MMW June 8, 2010 - 3:34 pm

Oh I love your silhouettes all in the same frame. Here's what I did with our family silhouettes – each one of us in action – doing something we love best…

Kelli June 8, 2010 - 3:37 pm

Your home is beautiful and the silhouettes add such a sweet touch.

Erin from Skoots and Cuddles June 8, 2010 - 3:46 pm

i love the numbered silhouettes… so special. thanks for the inspiration!

Christi June 8, 2010 - 3:56 pm

Where did you find that rug??

donna June 8, 2010 - 5:15 pm

silhouettes are great!!!!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest June 8, 2010 - 5:34 pm

Hi Shawni…love the silhouettes…I've done the same thing before, but never done them with numbers (that's my favorite part!).

Oh, and I've been meaning to leave you a comment for a while and tell you that Jennifer Wunderli is my sister-in-law (my hubby's sister). If the name doesn't ring a bell, she went with your family to Africa (I think it was Africa).

Anyhoo…hope you're having a lovely summer! Will you be at the reunion?

stacy June 8, 2010 - 6:58 pm

i love that people (you) actually put sweet sayings above their doors. hahaha! mine says, "how can i miss you if you won't go away"! your entry is BEAUTIFUL!!

Megan June 8, 2010 - 10:26 pm

Love your new entry way! Where did you find that beautiful rug? I absolutely love it!!

Kathryn June 8, 2010 - 11:24 pm

Thanks so much for the info on the silhouettes. My mom has silhouettes of my brothers and me but they were done WAAAAYYYY back when. I know my 3rd grade teacher pain stakingly did my entire class by hand. I'm pretty sure my brother's were all done by hand too. I've wanted to do them of my grandkids for such a long time but they're still pretty young and would never sit still that long.

Amber June 9, 2010 - 2:55 am

I really like the graphic rug, but I love the silhouettes! I was just at Disneyland thinking that I would have to fork over a wad of cash to get it done. I'm going to try your method–thanks!

dg darling June 9, 2010 - 4:14 am

LOOOOOOVE IT!

Carin June 9, 2010 - 5:33 am

Love your new entryway, that sign above the door (so something I'd do if we didn't have a glass panel over the door), and the silhouettes. I love silhouettes, but wouldn't have thought to number them. Cool idea!

Shawni June 9, 2010 - 6:38 am

the rug is from Anthropologie and I forgot to say that the number idea was totally from my friend Denise…she's the creative one!

Dana at StrawberryTart! June 9, 2010 - 1:15 pm

Thank you for the silhouettes information. I have alway loved Stephanie's silhouettes. Your home is beautiful as always!

Krystle June 9, 2010 - 4:23 pm

Such a great idea! I can't wait to try it! Your house is gorgeous! I love that rug and I love that the "love more" sign is green! It's a nice pop of color! My only question is what kind of paint did you use to paint the silhouettes, just regular crayola-type paint?

Kelly June 9, 2010 - 6:01 pm

Hi! Im a friend of Lori Craigs, so I saw your blog through hers. I love this IDEA! So cute, Im going to try this with my Boys! I love your redone entry! my house is very dark, cause that's what I like and liked! But now I wish it was all bright and beachy! I love your bright blue bench!! and yes, the rug is to die for! 🙂
Hope you dont mind me peeking in on your blog! mine is private, but if you would like an invite just e mail me your email. Kellycscott@hotmail.com

Ashby June 11, 2010 - 12:11 am

I just love how your entry way turned out! It's so light and fresh. In fact, I love the whole spruce up you've done. I definitely need to pick your brain one of these days!

Shea June 19, 2010 - 12:41 am

The silhouettes are so cute. I'm going to do this asap. I love how your house looks!

Christina June 19, 2010 - 4:51 pm

Gorgeous! You did an outstanding Job!

stacyslo June 25, 2010 - 2:52 pm

Hi there! I love your home, so beautiful, welcoming and fresh! Your blog is so inspirational, I'm addicted! By the way, whats the paint color in your dining room? I love it!

Shanna September 26, 2010 - 2:34 pm

Love the silhouettes! Silly question … what kind of paint did you use to paint them black? If they're printed on cardstock, did they not ripple after painting? I'd love to use this idea in my daughters' rooms.

kuestermom May 18, 2011 - 7:07 pm

where did you get the blue rug? love, love, love your style!

Tania January 10, 2012 - 7:28 pm

I've been looking for something just like that "love more" sign. Where did you get it?

The Belly Dancer March 22, 2012 - 8:47 pm

Lovely house and I love the silhouettes. New follower.

Mel April 21, 2012 - 12:50 pm

I adore the sign in green. Great pop of colour.

Gamer March 18, 2017 - 2:39 pm

Much obliged to you for the upgrade, exceptionally pleasant site.. HOA Management Companies

MSHABBER January 20, 2018 - 6:24 am

Only aspire to mention ones content can be as incredible. This clarity with your post is superb and that i may think you’re a guru for this issue. High-quality along with your concur permit me to to seize your current give to keep modified by using approaching blog post. Thanks a lot hundreds of along with you should go on the pleasurable get the job done. Lights On Club

Harry Jack September 23, 2018 - 5:02 pm

For example, on the off chance that you feel that your home doesn't have an adequate living space, at that point you can decide on the storm cellar rebuilding in Elkridge quartz countertops in overland park kansas