Home mothering in front of the camera

in front of the camera

A couple weeks ago, the day after unpacking from our Fall Break trip and just before parent/teacher conferences, taking off for the Vegas Time Out for Women, helping run our stake primary leadership meeting and attending three primary programs and a baptism fireside, something crazy happened:

A camera crew flew in from Utah to capture our life as we know it here in the desert. It was for Mormon.org…have you ever looked up that site? If you haven’t, you should…because it is good.

Which makes me happy because we need someone pretty darn good to edit and fix all my not-good-in-front-of-a-camera problems. I wonder if they can make a bad hair day look good too? And maybe take out some of those wrinkles? Hmmmm.

I must say I felt very humbled that they were capturing my life of all people, and as much as I’m SO not good in front of the camera it was all worth it because my kids were so excited about this they could hardly stand it.

Our house was filled with lights and all kinds of equipment…what a great chance to record life as we know it…except that I froze like a deer in the headlights when they asked me questions about myself. Why do I do that? Why can I just ramble things off on the phone or to a friend and then all of a sudden when I have a chance to make a record of all my theories and ideas my brain turns directly into putty?

Near the end of the day they wanted to capture a photo shoot. So we loaded all the kids up in the car quick as a wink and ran over to our favorite field.

All my inhibitions faded into the background as I got to focus on what I love most. These kids.

Oh I am SO much more comfortable behind the camera rather than smack-dab in front of it.

I made the videographers get in for a shot too…I mean, why should they get to have the comfort of being behind the camera all day?
They use my same camera (Canon 5D Mark II), along with the 7D. If they can do what they do with my camera I sure as heck have a bunch to learn. I love their video techniques (click here to see what I mean.) I loved talking shop with them. Now I need to save up for one of those little monitor thingies they have connected up to their cameras. They were pretty amazing.

I’m just crossing my fingers they can miraculously make some semblance out of all my rambling. (They are pretty awesome, so just maybe…)

I hope it come across loud and clear how much I adore being a mother. I hope it will show that although it’s true that I love photography and blogging, being right here, right now, with this family of mine is the most priceless blessing in my life.

Goings on at the Glenn's November 3, 2010 - 4:18 pm

that is so cool! I too freeze up when put on the spot but then after the fact say man I wish I would have said this or that instead! Love the photos you took of your family too! I hope one day I can have a camera like that. Right now I have a canon powershot s3. Nothing fancy but I wish I did. I am already a photography maniac now, just think what I could do if I had the right equiptment!? Congrats to you and yours!

valerie November 3, 2010 - 4:21 pm

I can't wait to see it! They just did this with one of my friends here. Kelly Lineback. It was so great to watch!! She has a billboard in St. Louis….is there going to be a huge billboard with your beautiful family on it?? 🙂

YAY for Shawni!!! I can't wait to see you in front of the camera.

Cristina November 3, 2010 - 4:24 pm

Wow, Shawni! That's going to be such a treat, can't wait for it!!!

Kristen Duke Photography November 3, 2010 - 4:39 pm

i can't WAIT to see the video!!! do you have a timeframe of when it will be ready???

donna November 3, 2010 - 4:42 pm

Mormon.org is one of my favorites web-site! ! : ) I enjoy watching and learning from other LDS families….

likeschocolate November 3, 2010 - 4:44 pm

Great images as always!

Chrissie November 3, 2010 - 5:17 pm

Wow Shawni – pretty cool! You have to be sure and let us know when we can watch it 🙂

SydneyMin November 3, 2010 - 6:06 pm

They made a great choice with you guys! Mormons to the core 🙂

Sarah November 3, 2010 - 6:34 pm

How neat! Can't wait to see it!

Corrie November 3, 2010 - 9:17 pm

gorgeous! I hope you'll share the link when it's done! and I don't believe you'd have a bad hair day, you always look lovely on your blog

corrie:)

Sarah November 3, 2010 - 11:02 pm

Wow. So exciting!

Rachel November 4, 2010 - 2:57 am

You rockstar! Let us know when it's up; I know we'd all love to see it!

Tara November 4, 2010 - 1:26 pm

No way! Are you going to be on "I'm a Mormon?" We love watching those videos! We will watch for you.

pakosta November 4, 2010 - 2:25 pm

I just LOVE those videos so MUCH! I was hoping to see yours right away! when will it be out!? those are soooooooo amazing and positive and always make me CRY!
xoxo
tara

Nicole November 4, 2010 - 3:48 pm

Holy crap!
I feel so priveleged to know you guys!!! You are such rockstars!
And give me a break, you always look absolutely gorgeous!!!

amy November 4, 2010 - 11:23 pm

So what do those "monitor thingys" do? I'm intrigued with the braces around the cameras.

Brittany November 5, 2010 - 2:15 am

I just think the world of you Shawni! I can't wait to see your "I am a Mormon" bit. I love those!

Brittany November 5, 2010 - 2:15 am

Trista November 5, 2010 - 3:44 am

All I can say is I hope that the way I see myself in photos is just as warped as you see yourself. Because you are absolutely gorgeous in your pictures. So maybe I am not the ugly sister?! 😀

Eyrealm November 5, 2010 - 6:36 am

LOVE seeing these photos. Bet your photos are even better than those because there's love behind the lens!

You're going to wonder why you ever worried about that crazy day! Those guys are masters! They're gonna make you look like the best thing invented since peanut butter! Bet they had a great time with the kids and feeling the spirit of your fun house. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Eyrealm November 5, 2010 - 6:37 am

Oops I meant to say better than theirs! It's late!

Raluca November 5, 2010 - 9:10 am

You are too self-critique. I'm sure you were just perfect!
I'm in love with Elle's cardigan. Where is it from?

...You May Say I'm A Dreamer November 5, 2010 - 2:59 pm

Awesome! I actually know Phil (the guy kneeling)…I've worked with him several times and he shot the last 2 commercials I was in! He's a great guy…looks like you had fun:)
~Mary