Home ideas thankful tree

thankful tree

We got around to making our traditional November “thankful tree” last night for Family Home Evening.

Yep, the one where I sit around and hog all the artistic duties because I’m a control-freak like that.

Ok, not really, but I do get a little picky about how it’s done, and I hate when we don’t have enough various colors for the leaves in our craft drawer (totally missing the yellow this year…gotta round some up tomorrow).

This year I braced myself and let the kids take a little more control. I even let Elle do the writing. Didn’t she do awesome?

We are “supposed” to add a few leaves each day ’til it’s all full on Thanksgiving but last night we went a little hog-wild thinking of all the things we’re thankful for. Sure, it took me asking the kids to get the markers out and write down their thankful things 42 times before it actually happened, but when they finally registered that a human being was actually talking and not just a broken record they got down to business and our kitchen filled up with that goodness that only togetherness can bring.
There’s still lots of room for more leaves. (They’ll be yellow ones from here on out 😉

We have so much to be thankful for. I LOVE November because it reminds us to ponder that more often.

…and I’m kidding about that control freak thing…kind of.

Melanie November 9, 2010 - 1:23 pm

I LOVE that idea! I think I'd like to make a thankful tree a new tradition in our home. What a cute family you have! Tell Elle I said hi! Oh, and you are going to do such a great job with all those girls in YW! You are going to love it!

Krystle November 9, 2010 - 1:44 pm

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing =)

pakosta November 9, 2010 - 3:00 pm

so cute! I want to do one of these!
we are hosting our 1st Thanksgiving because my brother & family will be here. My girls are making placemats for everyone with their handprints as turkeys! so cute!
tara

janice Bella Birthdays and Celebrations November 9, 2010 - 3:23 pm

I LOVE this idea! I can't wait to make one for our family. Thanks sooo much for sharing.

janice

Ryan and Meagan November 9, 2010 - 3:40 pm

Great idea!!!

I love "Diet Mnt Dew." That one made me laugh.

Scared this year because my in-laws are coming and this is the first year I'll be cooking for…in-laws!!!! ahhhh

The Iowa Farmer's Wife November 9, 2010 - 5:14 pm

I love this idea! I'm not sure we're at the age yet that this would make any sense, but I'm definitely doing it with my daughter next year!

Anonymous November 9, 2010 - 5:52 pm

GREAT idea!!! Thanks for sharing

Tracy November 9, 2010 - 6:03 pm

I love this idea. I am going to do this with my family this week! thanks for the inspriation…again!

Tara November 9, 2010 - 6:13 pm

great idea, one that we'll try out this year for sure! Thanks for sharing!

dawn November 9, 2010 - 6:21 pm

We do this too for Thanksgving. I am like you and have to have equal amounts of the fall colors, you need the yellow in their to make it pop and shine. Your tree looks great, haven't made my tree yet so we've been putting our leaves on the brown kitchen door for now. Love our thankful month every year.

Eyrealm November 9, 2010 - 7:09 pm

Love it more every year!

Shell in your Pocket November 9, 2010 - 7:55 pm

What a cute idea! Diet Mt. Dew would be on our tree!

sandy toe

Rachel November 9, 2010 - 8:44 pm

LOVE this idea! We copied it last year, doing it again this year. Thank you!
p.s. I'm a control freak, too. I even die cut the leaves, eek.

Marci November 9, 2010 - 9:59 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas. I attended the TOFW in Las Vegas and enjoyed you and your mom so much that I decided to peek at your blog! You were both so real about what life is really like and it was so refreshing! Thank you for putting into perspective what is important and sharing your wonderfully creative ideas! I came right home and for FHE we came up with the words that we wanted to represent our family. I too love your Thanksgiving tree idea and must borrow it! Thanks again!

Accalia November 9, 2010 - 11:51 pm

What a wonderful idea! And thanks so much for your blog. It's my favorite one and I feel so uplifted when I read it. Looking forward to hearing you at TOFW in SLC!

jessica kiehn November 10, 2010 - 4:16 am

i absolutely LOVE this!!

D-dawg November 10, 2010 - 7:33 pm

We have a thankful "poster" on our fridge that we add to everyday. I was going to post about it but now that I've seen your fancy tree I might be too embarrassed!! LOL your tree is so cute! Ours is a white poster board! It's a great activity though- my kids love it.

monica November 11, 2010 - 5:18 pm

love this idea!!!! i may have to steal this

xo
monica

Rebecca November 12, 2010 - 8:54 pm

Can I just tell you how cute this is? I absolutely love the things you do with your kids!

Love Being a Nonny November 14, 2010 - 4:44 pm

Love it and love *toenails* and *Dt. Mtn. Dew*…..!!!:)

Jenny November 14, 2010 - 5:50 pm

I love your idea!

This reminded me of your framed family tree in your posting about what is on your walls. I want to get the kit for myself and for some gifts for Christmas this year. Do you happen to know if the kit is still available or where to get it? I don't want to just copy it if it can be purchased. Thanks SO much!!!

Kat November 14, 2010 - 10:17 pm

I LOVE this idea!!! So cute! It would be great to see how the trees differ from year to year. Such a great family tradition!

Tom, Brittany, & Girls November 15, 2010 - 2:12 am

We are doing this for family home evening tomorrow. Thanks for the great idea!

Jenny Bay November 16, 2010 - 8:39 pm

So cute! I totally did the same thing at our house….great minds, eh? 😉

Cara November 22, 2010 - 9:39 pm

We did this for FHE last week and it was a HIT!!! Thanks so much for the idea♥

Danielle June 11, 2012 - 8:16 pm

Awesome! We do a thankful turkey. We take turns cutting out tracings of our hands and write down the things we r grateful fo each day for thw month of Novemeber. At the end we have one good looking turkey!!