Home California how to build a humongous sand castle:

how to build a humongous sand castle:

Have the Dads in your group go to Home Depot and get some serious supplies…plywood molds are best.If you’re really lucky you’ll have someone in your group be in the building industry so he can bring along a water pump with a generator attached to help bring water to the sand-castle building “site:”
Can you believe that??Enjoy the 15 minutes that contraption works like a charm:
When it malfunctions, stand around and try to fix it for a while.…then resort to sheer man/child power to carry the water and sand to the base after you’ve added the second level.Have the children who are not hard at work occupy the sweet baby:
And put middle-sized children to work building “sand-balls” to line the castle entry:When the bottom level plywood buckles from all the sand pressure, fortify it with more sand on the outside:
Beware of the top level being too high because it will buckle and fall when you take off that plywood:Re-do top layer.

This is a good way to keep kids who are sand-castle-knocker-downers out of the midst of the building process:
Have the Moms “back-seat-build” and gab on the sidelines.
Then let the carving begin:
Carve layers one at a time.
That’s Lisa and my personal “princess balcony” on the side above…
Take pictures of every angle before all the kids start wrecking the hard work.
Nothing like working hard on a great sand-castle to commemorate the 4th of July.

Jamie @ It's a Morris Thing July 7, 2011 - 8:39 pm

That is awesome!!

Kelly July 7, 2011 - 8:43 pm

That is amazing!!! Very cool. . .maybe we'll create a smaller version tomorrow. 🙂

Amber July 7, 2011 - 8:52 pm

That's incredible!!! How much time did that take from start to finish? You guys made it look so easy!!

Carin July 7, 2011 - 9:05 pm

Fantastic! Looks like they put an awful lot of work into that.

Jennifer July 7, 2011 - 9:49 pm

That is brilliant! What a group you had working on it!!!!! Absolutely adore your blog. It's my favorite!

Allison July 7, 2011 - 10:12 pm

You guys were in Coronado for the 4th of July! (I recognize the Del) I grew up there, and have to be there every year for the 4th… nothing compares to the celebrations in town with the parade, concert in the park and everything else going on. Hope you had a great trip!

Vivian July 7, 2011 - 10:27 pm

WOW!!! That seemed like a lot of work…thank God for man power!! Seriously you have set some high standards for our next trip to the beach 🙂

Heidi July 7, 2011 - 10:55 pm

THAT's GREAT!! I bet you guys were the talk of the beach!

Cindy July 7, 2011 - 10:57 pm

How fun!!! Nothing like sand, water, sunshine and friends to make a perfect day! I love your bathing suit top! It looks similar to the girls' 5 pictures up from the one of you. Where did you get it?

Vera July 7, 2011 - 10:58 pm

Holy Moly! WOW!!!

laura July 7, 2011 - 11:23 pm

The Del in the background. One of my most FAVORITE beach spots in the world! 🙂

Susan R July 7, 2011 - 11:45 pm

Is that the Hotel Del I see in the background? That's my old stomping ground. If you try to walk west on the beach, you will be met by armed guards who will tell you to turn around. The very end of that beach is a Naval Air Station.
I love Lucy's swimsuit. It reminds me of the Cat in the Hat colors.Good grief! That Max of yours is so darn tall. Not fair.

Heather@paralyzedwithjoy.blogspot.com July 8, 2011 - 2:57 am

I don't know where you were, but it looks beautiful! I love how you documented the process every step of the way. If I were physically able to take pictures, that would be MY contribution to the project!

Your paralyzed friend,
Heather

Anonymous July 8, 2011 - 4:00 am

That's sweet!

*ehu. July 8, 2011 - 6:58 am

Hey! You're in my hometown! Welcome to San Diego! Hope you're having a delightful time here!! 🙂 Coronado beach is pretty spectacular! Enjoy!

Brooke July 8, 2011 - 7:41 am

That is a serious sand castle! If only I lived near a beach…

Taylor July 8, 2011 - 12:42 pm

What a process!!! How cool that everyone worked together to make a beautiful ssandcastle. Looked great!

Kelly's Blog July 8, 2011 - 2:29 pm

That was so cool…..

Love the commentary in between pictures……

Glad to hear you had a nice holiday.

Tracey July 8, 2011 - 4:22 pm

That was awesome!

Rachel July 8, 2011 - 6:50 pm

Oh my goodness, you guys are WAY too productive for me! Super cool sand castle, though!

shannon July 8, 2011 - 8:34 pm

Where did you get your blue and white swimsuit? I love it! It is so hard to find a mom appropriate suit these days. Please share your source!

Kristen Duke Photography July 9, 2011 - 3:16 pm

LOVE the girls jumping shots!!! What a great idea to put wood under the castle, would have never thought of that, though it is a big of extra work beyond everything else that you take to go to the beach! We are going to SD next week, fun to see the backdrop of the hotel. I have a question to ask you, if you are not vacationing and get a second, will you email me kristenduke@gmailc.om

e July 11, 2011 - 12:28 am

shawni– I saw your cute family come into church last week. I'm sad I didn't get to officially meet you (we had our own visitors and I was trying to direct a little traffic)! Next time you are here, make sure Sam finds me. 🙂 hope your trip to CA was great and that you are thoroughly enjoying summer. best, elizabeth harris

Rebecca July 13, 2011 - 6:22 am

You've captured it perfectly! And we never even saw it get destroyed!