Home books new (old) favorite book

new (old) favorite book

Last year Lucy’s speech therapist introduced her to a new app on her iPad.

The Monster at the End of this Book
.”

And from the first instant she was head-over-heels in love with that thing.  Of course, I was in love with it too.  Because I can totally remember reading that thing when I was little.  I worried about poor Grover who was scared of what might be at the end of the book, so I really felt bad turning those pages.

But I had to.

I was so compelled to see what would be at the end.

Well, I guess it’s had the same effect on Lu because she has that thing memorized backwards and forwards (from the iPad app).

And so as you can imagine, she was over the moon when I pulled the real-deal out as a late-Easter gift for her.2013-04-05 general conference 72748
She has copied the whole thing a few times 2013-04-08 school 729982013-04-08 school 729992013-04-08 school 730002013-04-05 general conference 72739…and has already read it to her Kindergarten class at school and got to visit her old pre-school class to read it to them as well.

I sure hope she put all the cute intonations in her reading like she does at home.

Heart-melter.

So grateful for good books.

(It is here
if you have kids who may be similarly enamored 🙂

dresselfamily.blogspot.com April 10, 2013 - 3:37 pm

wow, shawni, she's doing so great, her writing is wonderful!!! seriously!!! way to go Lucy!

Mindy April 10, 2013 - 3:48 pm

I LOVE that book! One of my favorites growing up. 🙂 I love that Lucy has made her own copies.

marian April 10, 2013 - 4:00 pm

103 ghtMy little brother LOVED that book, but unlike you he thought it was HILARIOUS to make us turn the pages and make Grover so mad.

Anonymous April 10, 2013 - 4:10 pm

Lucy has really good handwriting for her age…wow! Good Job Lucy! =)

AnJ. April 10, 2013 - 4:38 pm

We love that book around here too and I even have my original copy from when I was little. Love it!

Did you know there's an updated version with Elmo in it? It's called Another Monster at the end of this book. We love this one too.

KIM {POPPY SEED PROJECTS} April 10, 2013 - 4:47 pm

Ha I love it! My kids are crazy about that book, too (just like I was). We'll have to download the app.

Melanie Francis April 10, 2013 - 4:56 pm

I can't wait to check it out! I watched your sister on studio 5 yesterday. LOVED what she had to say about stages! You guys are such great examples and so insightful! Thank you!

Sarah or someone like her April 10, 2013 - 5:00 pm

I love that book! I got it for my 3 year old for Christmas this year. He was soooooooo afraid the first time I read it to him and would NOT turn the pages. I may have been a bit over the top with the drama factor in reading it to him. 😉 Now he loves it though, so all is well.

Terri-Ann April 10, 2013 - 5:22 pm

We have our copy from when I was a kid. Love that one!

Jenn Nielsen April 10, 2013 - 5:28 pm

Best book ever! My older brother used to read it to me with a Grover-esque voice.

I had no idea it was on the iPad. Count me in!

freya April 10, 2013 - 5:55 pm

so sweet!
we've got a special place in our hearts for that book as well in my family. my mom used to always read it in the best grover voice around!

Perfection - Not! April 10, 2013 - 6:23 pm

Thanks for the memory. My little sister was obsessed with that book when we were growing up! WOW – 40 years later Grover is still a hit!

i'm h.mac April 10, 2013 - 6:53 pm

I am absolutely amazed at Lu's handwriting and art skill! She is above and beyond for her level-wow!

SydneyMin April 10, 2013 - 7:14 pm

Aww, I love that book!

Irishmammy April 10, 2013 - 7:58 pm

Will check it out for my little boy. He also has speech therapy. Lucy's letter formation is perfect. I'm a teacher and impressed. Well done Lucy.

Marci April 10, 2013 - 9:11 pm

I love this book! I'm 5 weeks away from having my first baby and need to make sure that I get this book for her! This was one of my favorites!

christy April 10, 2013 - 11:28 pm

best book ever, also loved the elmo version. two thumbs way up!

Cheryl April 11, 2013 - 12:28 am

She is seriously so cute, and so advanced in her artwork and writing! You have a special little girl there!

Tiffany April 11, 2013 - 4:28 am

I also read this one as a kid and my own kids have recently discovered it (on the ipad)!!! So fun!

Kailee April 11, 2013 - 5:51 am

This is the BEST BOOK EVER. I read it all the time growing up and would just laugh and laugh every time my dad read it to me in grover's funny voice. And her copies of it are so cute! She is one of the most creative girls I have ever seen. She's really gonna do great things one day.

Elizabeth Judd April 11, 2013 - 6:24 am

Totally off topic, but I would LOVE if you would write a post about your experience as a missionary! 🙂

Bindi April 11, 2013 - 7:36 am

Still my favourite kids' book…but no one reads it as well as my Dad!! My kids love Papa reading it best too.

Katie April 11, 2013 - 1:06 pm

I LOVED that book as a child, and I read it to my little boy, too. He also loves it. Have you read Leonardo the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems? Another awesome monster story.

Eyrealm April 12, 2013 - 5:23 am

I LOVE LUCY!

Hayley April 12, 2013 - 4:23 pm

Also my favorite book! Totally bought it at a garage sale last year when I saw it. It cracks. me. up. 🙂

The Lovely One April 13, 2013 - 3:16 am

I loved that book as a kid, and my kids love it now! Such a fun story, and who doesn't love Grover?

Marcy April 13, 2013 - 4:19 am

One of our family's very favorite books!

jack!e April 17, 2013 - 6:16 am

Ohh we grew up reading this book too and I kept it for my son to read now! 🙂 I think the cover fell off though… obviously it was well-loved. 😉 Lucy is such a good little artist!