1) It takes a lot of grit to run on this dirt track in nearly 100 degree weather every day after school:
2) Don’t look from side to side and worry about how fast others are going…concentrate on yourself and look to the goal:
(That’s a goal for life she actually learned and applied last year…but still holds very true this year.)
3) Listen to your handsome side-coach Dad:)
4) Keep going. Even when you want to give up and when you have to do it alone.
Let’s get a close-up of that last one:
(She took second in the qualifier on that one, and 5th overall…go Claire!)
6) Agree to do the 4×4…another race not many want to do…
7) Realize that if you do these two 400s back to back, you will be pretty tuckered out…but also pretty happy from a job well done “in the arena.”
(She and her team took third in this one, which means they got to sign and keep the baton…exciting stuff around here I tell you!)
8) Run with sweet friends.
…and your great second cousin…
…who did the same races for the boys’ team.
They crammed in a little awards ceremony amidst the rest of the stuff vying for a spot after the teacher strike in the end-of-the-year hoopla (this night was also shared with the elementary school talent show that Lucy made it for, and the big social media conference thing that came to town. Dave had to miss it so we took a bunch of pics for him, and luckily my mom was in town and we divided and conquered and all was well).
Yep it was a good season.
Who knows if track is in Claire’s future…it’s the same time as the tennis season in high school and I think she’ll chose that, but so glad she got to experience it in junior high!