Home Happy Mother’s Day to my mothers

Happy Mother’s Day to my mothers

My Mother

–literally doesn’t think of herself…always puts others first (anyone who knows her can vouch for the fact that I’m totally not exaggerating)

–loves the Savior and has instilled that love in each of her children though how she lives her life

–can travel around the world for a month with one little carry-on bag (so low maintenance) but still looks like a million bucks

–loves newborns just as much as I do:
(that one was Grace)

–one of my best friends in the whole world

My Mother-in-Law

–is more organized than anyone I’ve ever met (which gave Dave much disappointment when he married me and realized not all women are like that)

–has passed on her “sparkly-eye” gene to my children which I adore

–has the deepest insights into life that I love to discuss with her

–made each of my five babies an intricate baby quilt that they each loved to pieces…literally:

–has made me feel a part of her family from day one (even though I didn’t talk one lick at first since I was so darn shy)

My Grandma Ruthie (my kids call her “Grandma Great”)

–was a huge factor in the instigation of the Joy School program. I thought I was the luckiest kid on the planet each time we got to visit her original “Joy School” when I was a kid

–has one heck of a love story with her husband who died when they had five young children

–worked hard to raise those kids largely by herself and has always been so strong.
–taught me how to do dishes well. (can I just say how cute those kids are?)

Love you Grandma!

My Grandma Jacobson (I’m so sad I don’t have pictures of her on this computer. She passed away shortly after Dave and I got married. I got my height and my teeth from her though so you can picture that…and don’t make fun of my teeth…)

–her name was Hazel and she was so amazing that I wanted to name each and every one of my girls after her. Dave nixed the idea every time so I finally let my sister have it for her daughter (like I owned it). But Claire was the lucky one who at least got it for her middle name.

–taught us hard work. Each summer we would plant a huge garden in back of her house and she’d put us to work weeding, snapping peas, digging up potatoes…the works. She would let me sneak lettuce and sprinkle sugar on it to make the best sugar/lettuce roll-ups ever.

–had my mom when she was 41, and my aunt when she was 42 and taught them to be wonderful in every way.

I am so incredibly grateful for the wonderful examples I have of motherhood in my life.

Vera May 9, 2010 - 7:53 pm

Happy Mother's Day, Shawni! You are one fantastic mom. I want you to know that when I feel like I'm being grouchy with my kids, or like I'm just not quite sure how to keep from losing my cool, or I just need a little general mommy inspiration, your blog is one of the first places I go. I feel so lucky to have mom bloggers like you to look up to! THANK YOU!!

lovinglife May 9, 2010 - 11:42 pm

Those are beautiful Mother's Day tributes Shawni!! Thank you for sharing about your mothers and grandmothers. We are all bits and pieces of each of our parents and grandparents. I love it. I love how much you love being a Mommy—I share that same love. It's a wonderful day to celebrate.

Is Ellie going to do BYU gymnastics this summer?? Let me know. We are doing 6/28. It would be fun to have her and Caitlin go together.
Darcy

Love Being a Nonny May 10, 2010 - 12:25 am

No wonder you are such a GREAT mom…look at all the amazing women in your life! Happy Mother's Day!

Artfulife May 10, 2010 - 12:26 am

What special mothers to have in your life. Happy Mothers Day. Hope it was filled with tons of family, lots of snuggles from your kids and plenty of love.

Brenna May 10, 2010 - 2:42 am

Wow! So impressed at one little carry-on for an around the world trip! Your mom is so beautiful!
~Christine

Madison May 10, 2010 - 4:28 am

Happy Mother's day! I have loved reading your blog. You are an amazing mother. I actually went to the Joy school and still have fond memories of it and your grandmother! My twin boys are right now attending her original Joy school, and love it! Thanks for sharing your stories.

Lynn May 10, 2010 - 5:25 am

THat is SO cool! My kids call my grandma "grandma Great" too.

HAPPY HAPPY MOTHER'S Day Shawni!

Johanna May 10, 2010 - 2:53 pm

Happy Mother's day! I too have fond memories of your grandma and the Joy school. That is where I went and now my little twin boys go there! Thanks for being such an inspirational mom!

Erin from Skoots and Cuddles May 10, 2010 - 2:56 pm

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day with your beautiful family. Although you got your height and teeth from your Grandmother…. you look so much like your Mom…. what a blessing!

Cara May 10, 2010 - 4:31 pm

Two beautiful posts, I sure love reading your blog! It always makes my day and makes me want to be better♥

nanapothier May 12, 2010 - 3:15 pm

Thank you, Shawni, that was really special and I loved it. I love you and am so grateful to be related!

Eyrealm May 13, 2010 - 4:30 pm

Shawni you are amazing. I loved reading this but gosh, can't you do something about all those wrinkles with Lightroom? Where in the heck did all those wrinkles come from?

So fun to reflect on Marva, Grandma Ruthie and Grandma Hazel! Remember when my mom offered you $10 if you could go a whole week without whining? She'd be so proud of you now. I can't think of the last time you whined!

Jamie May 13, 2010 - 11:27 pm

I am in your Mother-in-law's "home" ward, and have to agree that she is amazing. Seeing her example has been a real blessing in my life, I only wish they were here more often! I'd also like to thank you for sharing your views on mothering. Sometimes I need just the lift your blog gives me. It helps me keep the right perspective.

Ging July 8, 2011 - 2:42 pm

Hi Shawni,
I was looking at your blog and saw this darling picture of Mark and Rusty Harman with our cute little Presley Turner. I would like a picture of that photo at the Mesa Temple. Call Joyce and let me know?!! Thanks, Rusty