Home recipes avocado cilantro dressing goodness

avocado cilantro dressing goodness

We are trying to bump up our healthy eating around here.

Wait, do I sound like a broken record on that or what?
It is always a work in progress.
I think I mentioned before that Max challenged Lucy to a sugar deal from clear over in Taiwan to kick off the school year.  Lucy took it very seriously and determined the rules and regulations in a letter back to him.  It would be a deal for August and it was actually a “contest” not a “deal.”
Ok Lucy.
So we all joined on the bandwagon.
But within a week and a half Lucy wrote to Max and told him that she gave up.  This was her letter to him:

I’m not doing the sugar deal any more!😢 It’s too hard. Yesterday, I went to Sunsplash! I went on the colorful slides, the white slides, the red and white slide, the lasey River, the blue and green slide, and the yellow and blue slide. I also ate a hot dog, some chips, and like 100 cookies
Sounds like clearly we have some more work to do on healthy eating around here.
So then Max caved too, and the girls were only half-heartedly in it anyway so by the end of August only Dave and I had plugged away until the bitter end.
That is a very long side-note.
What I’m trying to say is that you win some and you lose some.
Right now we’re working on adding more healthy things rather than cutting out more because it feels more like a reward that way rather than a punishment.  If you fill up on goodness you don’t have as much room for the sugar anyway.
One thing we’ve been loving over here is this amazing dressing my sister Saydi gave me the recipe for at Bear Lake this last summer.  It is honestly so dang good it could make a piece of cardboard taste delicious.  And the ingredients are simple and healthy too.
So I figured this magical goodness should be shared as much as possible.
Here we go:

half of an avocado
1/4 c. Greek yogurt (plain)
1/2 c. water (more as needed to adjust consistency)
1 c. cilantro leaves and stems
1/2 tsp. salt
1 small clove of garlic
a squeeze of lime juice
Blend together and enjoy over salad, on sandwiches, or drink it if you want 🙂 It’s so good!
Our favorite has been to throw a few chicken breasts in the crockpot with salsa in the morning and then shred it and serve it over salad fixings with this dressing for dinner.

There you go.
Go whip some up for lunch!

Tyra September 15, 2016 - 5:24 pm

Yum, I am going to try it, thanks for sharing!

Kiki Nakita September 15, 2016 - 6:41 pm

Looks delish! Will have to give it a try.

MaurLo September 15, 2016 - 8:27 pm

I love Lucy and I don't even know her! Awesome letter. Can't wait to try the dressing…I have been using a much more complicated version!

Sheila September 15, 2016 - 10:55 pm

I can see how this would be a great recipe–if cilantro didn't taste like dish soap to both me & my husband! I hear it's in the DNA…

Anyway, I think Lucy is the best! I just added chocolate chips to my otherwise healthy trail mix. 🙂

likeschocolate September 16, 2016 - 4:04 am

This looks delicious! I don't even think you can call it dressing because it looks so healthy for you. Wonderful!

Ben and Courtney Hugo September 16, 2016 - 6:18 pm

Thank you for sharing recipes! I love it when you share them! I make your lettuce wraps and pumpkin pancakes ALL the time!

Jessica Nelson September 16, 2016 - 6:39 pm

Just made this and it may not make it into our dinner tonight. It is really good!!!! Thank you for sharing!!

Shawna September 16, 2016 - 7:46 pm

One thing that has worked for our family is trying to save sugar for the weekends. We don't make or buy any sweets for weekdays and do our best to save treats for the weekends. There are always the exceptions but 80 percent of the time this has been successful. Probably not a new idea for you but passing it along anyways.

Michelle September 16, 2016 - 8:58 pm

Do you know what I love most about this post? Your resiliency! It's so easy to become discouraged when we try and fail repeatedly to improve. Especially when it comes to helping our kids make good choices. Thanks for keeping things real. Love the every-day-ness of this post.

Anonymous September 17, 2016 - 8:19 pm Reply
Duyvken September 17, 2016 - 11:01 pm

I'm always looking for new salad dressing ideas. Thanks for this, Shawni, I will try it tonight.

Duyvken September 17, 2016 - 11:03 pm

Eyrealm September 18, 2016 - 3:52 am

Love this recipe! Lucy has quite a recipe for hilarious too! What a gal!

cristie September 18, 2016 - 2:35 pm

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/wfpb-story-ryan-egbert/#comment-15869 this web site has been a huge help to me. Love that Lucy girl. xox

Darcie September 20, 2016 - 3:52 pm

I love all your posts but honestly your recipe posts are some of my favorites…. always tasty and easy, my kind of recipe. Thanks.