Home recipes watermelon and feta salad

watermelon and feta salad

The timing when we got this new blog format up and running happened to coincide with the midst of the college-kids-shuffle (more about that soon, phew!), and I’m almost a little gun-shy to jump into posts over here after Josh has made it all so beautiful…I almost don’t want to mess it up!

But I do think it would be unfair to keep this salad I’ve been dying over to myself (ha! it is SO GOOD!). Watermelon and grilled chicken mixed with quinoa, arugula, basil and avocados…all of my favorite ingredients in one dish along with yummy balsamic dressing. I feel so fancy when I make it (isn’t it so pretty?), and it is so good that I’ve kind of made it on repeat the last couple weeks.

So here I am for a minute to link you to how to make this sucker. It is over HERE on my friend-who-I’ve-never-met Lillie’s blog. If you haven’t checked out “Lillie Loves Macros” recipes you are definitely missing out. Don’t let the “macros” in that title scare you off, I’m not doing macros anymore but her recipes are my favorite. She makes me feel like a chef with this food that is SO good. I’m learning I really can whip up my own salad dressings and mix the most tasty ingredients and fuel my family with so much goodness.

I’m going to go ahead and put the INGREDIENTS in this post for quick future reference, because I think this will be on repeat a lot. I just layer it all in there in whatever increments I want, but if you want specific measurements, click on Lillie’s link and it has all that info.

Here we go:

arugula

cubed watermelon

quinoa

sliced up avocado

chopped up cucumber

toasted pine nuts

fresh basil

loosely chopped red onion

feta cheese

grilled chicken

And this is how you make THE DRESSING:

3 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar (I used regular because I don’t have white on hand and it was delicious)

1 tsp. Dijon mustard

5 grams of honey (just drizzle for a few seconds and it seems to work great!)

pinch of salt and pepper

2 Tbs. olive oil

Whisk it all up and drizzle on top of the salad, and inhale that deliciousness. It is SO good!

You can also add balsamic glaze if you want more balsamic goodness.

Here’s another pic from another night…pre-dressing…

And pre-devouring with one of my college girls:

Makes my mouth water.

Anyway, go buy those ingredients speedy-quick so you can whip this up for lunch…or your Labor Day weekend festivities, and you’ll thank me (and Lillie) when you taste that first bite!

Kelly Anne Rothaermel August 30, 2019 - 1:26 pm

This looks so delicious! Always a good combo! Thanks for sharing!

Natalie August 31, 2019 - 5:47 pm

Thanks for sharing! Love your bowl—can you please let us know where you purchased it:)?

Shawni September 1, 2019 - 6:30 pm

The one in the top picture is from IKEA I think, and the one in the bottom pictures I’m pretty sure we got for our wedding from Crate & Barrel.
xoxo

Natalie September 1, 2019 - 7:21 pm

Kelsey September 1, 2019 - 2:26 am

I don’t know if it’s just me, but one of the pictures is over your words. I’m no blog expert just wanted to share and help with the learning curve of this beautiful new blog 🙂

Shawni September 1, 2019 - 6:30 pm

Thank you! I don’t see that…which picture? One on this post?

Shawni September 4, 2019 - 1:25 pm

I asked the commenter below these questions as well, but in order to help troubleshoot could you let me know what device you’re using (computer, phone, or tablet), what operating system as well as which browser you’re using? That would really help us diagnose. Also if you could take a screenshot that would be very helpful as well. My email is sepphotography at gmail. Thank you for the feedback!

Varun Sharma September 2, 2019 - 3:53 am

Great combo of watermelon, chicken & avocados. Healthy..!!

Jennifer September 2, 2019 - 9:01 am

I made this last night! It was delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Jenny September 2, 2019 - 9:14 am

For me the two top pictures show up as one picture and cover the whole upper text, the first thing I can read is “And pre-devouring with one of my college girls:” and then see the third picture beneath it as well as the last bit of text. Just thought you might want to know 🙂

Shawni September 2, 2019 - 12:31 pm

Ok thanks for the feedback, I’ll look into that! I’m not seeing it on this end.

Shawni September 4, 2019 - 1:23 pm

Ok hmmm, trying to figure this out. To help troubleshoot could you let me know what device you’re using (computer, phone, or tablet), what operating system you’re using and what browser you’re using? That would really help us diagnose. Also if you could take a screenshot that would help a ton as well. My email is sepphotography at gmail. Thank you for the feedback! I’d love to fix that!

Janet September 2, 2019 - 10:51 am

Salad looks relish! But where do I find the recipe?

Shawni September 2, 2019 - 12:32 pm

I linked to it in the post, I think second paragraph. Let me know if you can’t find it!

Rachel B. September 2, 2019 - 3:19 pm

Soooo yummy. I made this tonight while we wait for Hurricane Dorian to head our way. I’ll be making this every.day.

JennG September 4, 2019 - 8:03 pm

This looks delicious!
I’m grateful you posted the link to the recipe. I made her blackened salmon tacos tonight – I highly recommend her recipe!

Meg September 4, 2019 - 9:55 pm

Made this today and it was delicious!! Thanks so much for sharing 🙂

Jessica Nelson September 26, 2019 - 9:24 am

We’ve made this twice now because it is SO GOOD! I was a little wary at first – watermelon?? But I was so wrong! Thank you for sharing!!