Home thoughts conference inspiration

conference inspiration

Dave has been out of town this week.

And for some reason when he’s gone, I am totally compelled to stay up all night doing projects…especially since I’m trying to tie up loose ends on a couple house things. So the other night while I was up late doing some painting I turned on the Saturday Conference session I missed while we were at Elle’s soccer game.

Oh my word I was so inspired I had to keep putting down my paintbrush and picking up my notepad to take notes. Every talk was so great, but man oh man, Elder Uchtdorf’s was my favorite. I loved how he talked about love and how the way we love should be what defines us, as Mormons, as individuals, and as sons and daughters of God. My favorite quote was this:

“God doesn’t need us to love Him. But oh, how WE need to love HIM. What we love determines what we seek. What we seek determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines who we are, and who we will become.”

I join Elder Uchtdorf in hoping that people who are not part of our faith will learn from our actions that we are truly striving to be true Christians. That we believe with all our hearts in a loving Savior and that we are striving to love as our Savior loves.

I think you can listen to it here if you’d like to be seriously inspired today.

I adored Elder Bednar’s talk too. I loved his three points of how to become “more diligent and concerned at home.” Each of those points hit home to me so much as a Mother. If you want to listen I think you can click here.

I am so thankful for the opportunity we have to formally listen to our spiritual leaders twice a year at Conference time. I love the rejuvenation I feel from those words washing over me and helping me to become a more dedicated friend, daughter, mother, and wife.

Mary October 10, 2009 - 2:07 am

Hi Shawni – I was listening Wednesday as I was doing housework, my favorite was Elder Oaks on parenting –

His discussion was inspiring!

SydneyMin October 10, 2009 - 2:15 am

I loved those talks, too! Once a week Tony works all night and I never can make myself go to bed before 2 on those nights. I just keep staying up later and later until I fall into bed so exhausted I don't care anymore if he's there or not 🙂

DeANNA October 10, 2009 - 6:26 am

I so need to listen to the first one because I have not been good about showing my kids that actions speak louder than words and how I treat someone who is not really a friend anymore is going to rub off on them and I so don't want that! Thank you for this post!!!

As Sistas in Zion October 10, 2009 - 9:39 am

I loved the Saturday session of Conference, and I too enjoyed this Elder Uchtdorf's talk in particular. What simple words with such significant meaning!

Sarah October 10, 2009 - 7:31 pm

I love how your religion so FULLY supports motherhood and family life.

Eyrealm October 11, 2009 - 3:08 pm

Totally agree! We got to be there at that session and were truly blessed! Loved our neighbor Elder Clayton's talk about burdens. He is such a terrific guy!

sharita October 12, 2009 - 2:00 am

Shawni! I've been following your blog for awhile now. Thank you for sharing the highlights and the challenges of life in the Pothier household. We too have our "stuff" that challenges us emotionally and spiritually. Just wanted you to know how much I miss your infectious smile and energy.

Take care, Shari Taylor

ShelleyG October 13, 2009 - 2:34 am

Thanks for this post. As always-Conference helps me to self evaluate and tweak the system to make sure the important stuff comes first. We are so blessed to be able to get such outstanding and inspired council twice a year. Technology rocks like that!

carlston October 16, 2009 - 9:06 pm

Hi Shawni… I've been following your blog for quite sometime and I really enjoy reading your posts. I love your photography as well and for that reason I come with a request. Are you still willing to sell copies of SLC Temple. I believe you have one hanging on canvas at your home. I've checked on etsy several times and can't seem to find one that I like as well as yours. I don't necessarily want it on canvas, just an 8×10 or an 11×14. I will understand if your not interested in selling them, but just thought I'd check. You can email me at calcarlston@hotmail.com – thank you!

Anita and Tal October 17, 2009 - 6:36 am

Shawn, thanks for that highlight section of conference. We are listening to a talk (or two) a day here in Mozambique and now we can't wait to get to Elder Uchdorf and Elder Bednar. Thanks for sharing!