Home Claire look who’s FIVE…

look who’s FIVE…

And man oh man is she ever over the moon about it! She’s been waiting and waiting and waiting for the big day.And believe it or not, there were some other people just about as excited as she was:These girls were all on top of decorating including a candy bar poster, decorating her door, her chair, wrapping the gifts…they were ON it. They’re also the party planners for her party tomorrow. They are completely in charge and they are loving it. They hand-made all the invitations, complete with tons of eraser marks and peanut butter accidentally smeared on a few of them. I’ll admit it was a little hard for me to let go of my control and let them do whatever they wanted, but I warmed up to the idea pretty quick. I LOVE that they did them with so much love. They’ve made me a list of things I need to get them at the store tomorrow for the big shebang. And I couldn’t be happier to have my own little event planners.
Lucy wasn’t quite as excited about the party-planning..she was pretty focused on how much chocolate frosting she could eat…
Dave’s brother and my brother were here to help celebrate for our family bash.Claire got to be the “Beary Special Person” at preschool this week which happened to be in conjunction with her birthday. Man alive she was happy about that too.
Oh man we love this girl. Five of the many top reasons why:
1) she has the most sparkly, contagious smile I know
2) she is incredibly kind to her siblings…always willing to share whatever she has
3) she gets SO excited about things and opens her eyes as big as saucers and drops her jaw to the ground in a humongous smile to show it
4) she’s awesome at taking any kind of prescription we put in front of her…she has all these health issues right now and we feel so bad for her but she just deals with it so well
5) she sometimes just stops in the middle of whatever she’s doing and comes over and tells me she loves me on a regular basis.

Oh I can’t stop at five!
6) she is super athletic. I think she inherited her Dad’s genes on that instead of mine (hallelujah!) She’s doing gymnastics right now and is loving it…she goes on short runs with me sometimes and smiles all the way.
7) she sometimes helps without even being asked and gets pretty darn delighted about it. She cleaned her whole room the other day as a surprise and then did the dishes for the big kids the other night
8) she’s the best helper to Lucy I could ever imagine. She sits with us in Lu’s therapy sessions and models all the stuff Lucy’s supposed to do, which makes Lu excited to do it.
9) she talks things out…one of the skills I try SO hard to teach my kids mostly to no avail. When she has a problem she talks it out instead of just crying and I love it.
10) she’s in most of my “healthy clubs” with me…the “sugarsnap pea for snacks club” the “tomato club” the “salad club,” etc. She’s a healthy eater.

I got a little teary-eyed as I gave her a kiss and watched her skip off to her preschool carpool today for two reasons: 1) I love her more than I can ever say, and 2) I got thinking about how big she’s growing. I love it but can’t stand it all at the same time when kids grow up so darn fast.

Love you Claire.

mommy of four! January 23, 2009 - 10:37 am

love your family! wish we could meet someday!!your lttle Lu is just to cute!!

Sarah January 23, 2009 - 1:27 pm

Happy Birthday Clair! And send those event planners my way…how awesome of them to do all that! It’d be heaven!

sarah January 23, 2009 - 1:35 pm

K- love that cute little face and love the name even more. didn’t know her middle name was Hazel. If this little baby of ours pops out in the next 3 weeks a girl her name will be Claire Hazel (total family name) love it so much.

Claudia January 23, 2009 - 2:47 pm

Can’t wait to celebrate with Claire today! She was absolutely glowing at school on her big day! We love you, Claire!

ellen January 23, 2009 - 3:08 pm

What a nice post for the birthday girl!

Nichols Family January 23, 2009 - 6:25 pm

Happy Birthday Claire!!!! Fun poster, I love it.

Oh I was dying laughing at the pics of Lucy on the street! I’m sorry, I’m only laughing because I went through the same thing with Luke! Good luck! 🙂

Raskills January 23, 2009 - 7:20 pm

She is so DARLING!!

meegz January 23, 2009 - 8:42 pm

Like our little Libbie said when she turned five “Mom, now I’m a WHOLE hand!” FIVE is great!!!

ellen January 23, 2009 - 8:42 pm

I love visiting your blog. There is just a great vibe with your family. It is obvious you are an amazing mom and that your home is a happy place.

Lucy and I are cut from the same cloth… I want to do that with icing every time I bake!

Jessie January 23, 2009 - 10:29 pm

Happy Birthday to Claire! What medical issues is she having Shawni?

Nicole January 23, 2009 - 10:48 pm

Clair is the freaking cutest 5-year-old EVER!
I’m loving the totally killer star-of-the-week poster only a photographer mom could make!!

lovinglife January 24, 2009 - 6:40 am

Happy Birthday to Claire! And Happy Birthday to YOU tomorrow!! Hope you have the best day. You need to post your bday pics for us. Who kisses your cheeks for your bday pic?? 🙂
Darcy

Karen January 24, 2009 - 12:41 pm

Happy Bday Claire! What a fun par-tay! Ha Ha and Lucy kills me! I love those cute little cheeks….but Im sure right about then you weren’t laughing with us 😉

Eyrealm January 24, 2009 - 6:59 pm

There couldn’t be a luckier Grammie to have Claire! How lucky you are to have all those family members and friends who love you too!

Natalie* January 24, 2009 - 10:07 pm

Hi there! What a great tribute to your darling girl. I’m a friend of Jandi Oxnam and an aspiring photographer, so I look to you for inspiration. Hey, I was wondering if you could tell me where you got your little girl Claire’s C necklace – (I wrote last summer, but you mentioned that things were crazy for y’all then.) my little 4 year old Chelsea would love one and Claire’s looks perfect for that age. If you could get back to me I would appreciate it –
nataliehackingAThotmailDOTcom – many thanks!

Angela January 24, 2009 - 11:36 pm

She’s a cute girl – with and without cold sores! Happy Birthday to you too, Shawni. I hope you enjoy your little get-away – Dave is a smart, smart man. That really is the perfect gift for a mom – TIME!

Cheryl January 25, 2009 - 3:41 am

Hope her big bash was as beautiful as she is! I have no dobut with such wonder party planners at the helm it was a complete success.

Happy Birthday from Kentucky!

Nancy January 25, 2009 - 2:17 pm

Your kids are so lucky to have all the milestone in their lives documented so beautifully with your photos- you do a great job! And then, blogging too! I know that can be a bit of a chore, and I’m so impressed you find the time to do it! Good for you, and happy birthday Claire!!! 🙂

Heather Jaworski January 25, 2009 - 2:53 pm

Claire is soo cute! you had given me your friend Angie’s number for the initial necklace. We have been playing phone tag. Do you have an email address for her? It might be easier! 🙂 Thanks, Shawni!!

Nichole January 26, 2009 - 4:03 am

Claire you are the cutest ever! I can’t believe you are five! I hope you had a fun party!