Home our houseHome Sweet Home home sweet home: family room/kitchen

home sweet home: family room/kitchen

I posted pictures of our kitchen “spruce-up” back here, but the family room and dining nook weren’t done yet. So here they are.

Our family room/kitchen went from this:
to this:

…and the view coming from the other direction went from this:to this:
The dining nook went from this:
to this:(For more about that map, click here.)

And the family room took a lot of different looks before we really decided what we wanted. It went from this:

to this:
to this:
and finally to this:
I had some of my favorite places printed up on canvases to add some color:
(The top one is Wellesley College, middle is Bear Lake, and the last one is Utah.)

And you can read about the saga of making our family motto here.
Anyway, it’s finally done, and we love how bright and light it feels.

sista # 2 June 14, 2010 - 3:53 pm

I've been looking for a canvas print(to place over the thermostat-to hide it!)& I love yours!My new summer project ;)Thanks.

Kelly June 14, 2010 - 3:58 pm

it looks awesome Shawni. It is inspiring me to go decorate! Danny will not be grateful.

The Atomic Mom June 14, 2010 - 4:47 pm

Lovely art on the walls. I'm so impressed with you ablity to make your own art and that it as so much meaning to you. We're trying out some of the ideas you've shared here on your blog. I partularly loved the shillouettes of your kids.

Hi, I'm Hannah. June 14, 2010 - 5:00 pm

I love seeing before and after photos! Thanks for sharing and for all of the inspiration. I love your family motto.

Hannah

sweetpea June 14, 2010 - 5:21 pm

I like the final choice best! Beautiful rooms! Love the canvases… I need to do that to some photos! Thanks for sharing!

D'On Marx June 14, 2010 - 5:36 pm

It's beautiful! I love the canvas print ideas. Very pretty.

Jennifer Knight June 14, 2010 - 6:11 pm

When I first saw those canvases, I wasn't sure if they were canvas or not. Amazing that it was about the time I was taking your artwork and putting it on canvases for the I Love Lucy project! So, if any of your readers want canvases like that (or with their own photos) and would like to contribute to the I Love Lucy project at the same time, message me or click over to http://www.ilovelucyproject.weebly.com.

Maria June 14, 2010 - 9:43 pm

My name is Maria Thompson and I live in Utah – I was able to attend the Time out for Women's confernece in February and heard you and your mother speak! It was wonderful and your book is a great guide to parenting.
Ever since attedning, I have occasionally logged onto your blog to see the fun new ideas that you and your family are doing. I love reading your blog and getting the greatest ideas to help rear my children.
Thank you for inspiring me and for the fun decorating ideas. I too, enjoy decorating and take pictures.
I have one question for you and maybe if you get a chance you can email me at mtloan@readytek.net with an answer.
I love how you transformed your kitchen cabinets from wood to white. Did you paint those or did you get all new cabinets?
Thanks again!

Corrie June 14, 2010 - 9:49 pm

oh it's looking lovely!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just loving your blog and reading it everyday!

Corrie:)

skotlynd June 14, 2010 - 10:50 pm

Love the transformation! Love your blog! Any idea what color paint is on your walls in the family room and nook area? Thanks for the ideas!

Susan June 15, 2010 - 12:20 am

Shawni, I'm curious. Was your crown molding, base boards, etc…already white, or did you paint them?

pakosta June 15, 2010 - 1:00 am

gorgeous home!!
LOVE IT!
tara

Rebecca June 15, 2010 - 1:31 am

Simply beautiful and so uniquely suited to your family…I am dying to see the outside of your house! Do you have gardens of beautiful flowers? I'll bet you do (which makes me even more jealous)!!! Haha…enjoy living!

sevenalstons June 15, 2010 - 9:29 am

Gorgeous! Your final choice in your family room is my favorite! You have a beautiful home ~ I love that you cover your walls with pictures that are personally meaningful to you 🙂

Jess June 15, 2010 - 11:54 am

wow! the house looks amazing!! so bright and cheerful!!!

Nancy June 15, 2010 - 1:25 pm

I love it… everything about it. Thanks for sharing. It gives us some great ideas on what to do in our own homes. I just ADORE your pictures in the shadow boxes by your table. LOVE IT!

jill d June 15, 2010 - 8:01 pm

I love it Shawni!!! Thanks for sharing. I with some of the others…did you paint your cabinets or re-face them? I would love for you to email me, denningfab5@gmail.com
Thanks!

Kami @ Everyday Heaven June 16, 2010 - 2:13 pm

I love love love it, especially the dinning room! I love the map, I think it's perfect.

Tasha June 16, 2010 - 5:16 pm

I love seeing pictures of your home. It is so inspiring! Keep posting!

Rebecca June 19, 2010 - 1:41 pm

Hi, Shawni! I saw your home tour over at the DIY Showoff and your home is BEAUTIFUL! The "before" pictures looked pretty great, but the "afters" are amazing! And I really love your blog. So I'm now following 🙂 Looking forward to keeping up with all of your happenings!

Colleen June 19, 2010 - 5:21 pm

coming over from The DIY showoff. You have a lovely home!! Love your changes. Safe to say I am signing on as a follower.

jennfoster105 June 30, 2010 - 11:30 pm

Hi Shawnie! Great job on your home improvements! I love the color scheme you chose. Where did you get your family room sofas? That is exactly the kind of casual look I'm wanting for my living room!

EUmbrell September 24, 2011 - 1:37 pm

Hi Shawni! We frequently visit Bear Lake also and I love your picture of the bright blue sky! Is it possible to purchase this photo from you? I'm putting together a wall collage with a poem about swinging(flying) up in the sky. This would compliment it perfectly!

Emily October 29, 2011 - 6:02 am

I am trying to find a map similar to the one you have of the world by your dining table. Where did you buy yours? Thanks!! 🙂 Love your house!!!!

kirtybell January 27, 2012 - 2:28 pm

I love your table..Is it square? I have looked for a square table for 6 YEARS!! I can only find "pub height"…why!!?? I love this- you can see everyone this way while sitting.
Where, where did you get it?
Love your beautiful house and family

jcooper March 27, 2012 - 9:23 pm

Love it, I was wondering where you got your big leather ottoman from? I have been looking for one like that forever and can't seem find any. Thanks. Love your blog it has touched and inspired me so much!

KraftieKatie August 28, 2013 - 2:06 am

Hi! If you don't mind me asking, what do you and your husband do for a living? Your home is amazing! And with 5 kids that seems hard to accomplish 🙂 Loving your blog!

Awais Ahmed August 1, 2016 - 5:37 pm

Maybe, the best thing to remember, if redesigning your kitchen, is to utilize your judgment skills. Listening to your head or what your middle is letting you know, similar to when it flags that you may require a break, is the most ideal approach to stay safe while renovating your kitchen. If you want to learn more about Inova Stones UK visit our blog.

Harper michach December 1, 2016 - 2:41 pm

These professionals will help you with meeting the proper specifications of the job, and their handiwork will last longer. Straight from the source

Ella lily January 13, 2017 - 10:01 pm

This can be as easy as regularly mowing the lawn, trimming shrubs, and hiring a professional lawn care company to come in occasionally to keep it looking perfect. Tomo home improvements southampton

Monique Kline September 25, 2017 - 8:38 am

You may even consider buying hardware and devices for home change at the organizations that propose bring down costs or potentially buys without any installments until a specific date. have a peek here

Ethel November 9, 2017 - 7:12 am

Consider the explanation for the home change venture. On the off chance that you would prefer not to offer your home, you can counsel the contractual worker for tweaking your home to suit the developing needs of your family. The Tool Report

Jims linda March 24, 2018 - 2:35 pm

They are made of bigger jobs such as hardwood flooring and are very effective in removing a lot of stock very quickly. Top 5 benchtop sanders

Shane Martin May 28, 2018 - 12:37 pm

Likewise look at the organization's site. In the event that they don't have one, you need to think about how proficient they are. Edmonton kitchen contractors

James harper June 1, 2018 - 10:30 pm

Its an incredible joy perusing your post.Its brimming with data I am searching for and I want to post a remark that "The substance of your post is marvelous" Great work. quartz countertops in kansas city

Anonymous June 12, 2018 - 12:45 pm

Calacatta is one of the most beautiful marble types. We are happy to let you know that we have slabs from many different lots in our stock whether you would like it for your kitchen countertops, shower walls, vanity top, or tub surround. Contact one of our locations today to get your countertops.  Read more

Agatha Smith September 24, 2018 - 5:09 pm

Refacing cupboards can give a simple and moderate option in contrast to buying new cupboards. Rather than supplanting your kitchen cupboards, all that is required to zest up the old cupboard is another wrap up. With at least exertion, and cost, you will be charmingly astounded how great your cupboards will look. kitchen countertops in Olathe ks

mtom October 8, 2018 - 6:36 am

Thankyou for this post, I am a big big fan of this web site would like to proceed updated. https://ehomedecor.site

mtom April 15, 2019 - 7:26 pm

Thanks for your type info.. I realy appreciate it.. keep it up. wall and floor tilers Tadworth Surrey