Seventeen years ago Dave and I left our baby Max with my sister on her own birthday morning in the wee hours of an August morning to head to the hospital to meet our girl Elle.
We had no idea all those years ago how our hearts would expand to envelope this girl in.
I’m a little emotional this morning thinking about her.
Maybe it’s the fact that Max is leaving and I know she’s following close behind. Maybe it’s because I’m so full of love for her as I look at old pictures and wonder at how she has grown, in love and beauty and spirit and stature.
And maybe it’s just because she’s just plain awesome.
Seventeen reasons I adore her:
1) She is a good friend. To the multitudes of kids she hangs out with, but also to me.
2) She is happy. And she radiates that happiness.
3) She is aware. Of others, of moods, of feelings, of what needs to be done.
4) She is quick to obey. When I ask her to do something she says “sure.” I know that sounds simple, but it’s refreshing coming from a teenager.
5) I’ve said this before, but she repels drama and I adore that. I’ve never heard her say one not-nice comment about anyone in the whole wide world.
6) She’s a super conscientious student and works her tail off on school work.
7) She’s an adventure lover just like her mamma. Her emails and texts from England made my heart swell, especially the little part about how she’s gonna live in London with her husband some day 🙂
8) She’s a saver and knows how to manage money well.
9) She is ultra low-maintenance. Didn’t have one birthday request and never asks for anything. Sometimes the low-maintenance thing goes so far that I need to remind her she hasn’t brushed her hair as she heads out to school, whoops!
10) She’s not afraid to stand out…in height, in thoughts, in what she says, doesn’t care to “fit in,” and wants to be her own person.
11) She eats healthy.
12) But she likes a good cookie as much as I do 🙂
13) She’s got a great sense of style.
14) She’s a great leader for her little sisters.
15) She is sincere…says what she means and means what she says.
16) She’s got the moves on the dance floor and makes life fun.
17) Elle has a good head on her shoulders. She knows what’s right and she does it.
Bear with me on these pictures, I had to resort to taking pictures of them on my computer screen with my iPhone because my external drive isn’t working, but have to post the oldies too.
Love you Elle Belle!
You are growing into quite a wonderful young lady and I’m so grateful for you!